Friday, September 16, 2011

Lecture 9/16

Main Points: We are WAYYYYYYY better off than royalty in the 1700s. For example, if the Queen of England in 1700 or even 1800 could travel in time to visit Bill Gates, she would have been so shocked by internet, indoor plumbing, cars, and grocery stores because she could never have thought them fathomable. Even I, as a poor college student am better off than Queen Ann of England. Even though I have to deal with crappy Danforth food, I can eat them and feel at least 99.9% that I am not going to die of samonella or have diarrhea. New England in the 1800s was supposed to be a spiritual and tranquil place, but even the "wealthy" people only had like two outfits, which became lice infested after awhile. The whole family slept on the floor in one room, which was covered in vermin. My middle class 21st century mindset could never have fathomed living like that, and after hearing about it, I was so thankful that I live in the 21st century. People also never went more than 15 miles from their homes, and even though air travel can be a pain, I could not help but marvel about how relatively easy it was for me to travel to Europe this summer. I want to spend the summer in Spain, no problem. All it takes is a simple click of a button on expedia.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment